Sunday, September 02, 2007

Day 7: 20.7 (Thu) Tokachi (十勝) + Noboribetsu (登別)

Morning: Tour to Mt. Tokachi and peripheral area
I woke up in the very morning and joined the free tour organized by the host to Mt. Tokachi and the surrounding area. It was freezing but I didn't bring enough clothing, so I had to cling to my cardigan-the warmest garment that I had-throughout the trip.

After that, I got back to the hostel to have my breakfast and set off to Noboribetsu.


(Mr. Saito introduced different interesting spots with the help of his note :) Of course I didn't understand what he said but I enjoyed the fresh air and the scenery.)

(Mr. Saito and his son)






(My breakfast ^^ I love the egg.)
(I could finally snapped a shot of the resort.)

Afternoon: Noboribetsu
I took a train to Sapporo with a shogi master whom I met at Bibi and changed another train to Noboribetsu. On my way, I was actually happy with myself being able to manage my trip and myself so well, so far. However, my emotions took a U-turn when I arrived in Noboribetsu.

The town looked abondoned in drizzle. All the stores lining the Hot Spring Street were closed and there was barely anybody strolling around. An anonymous wave of despair grasped my heart but I couldn't quite place it, not at that moment. I couldn't stand being engulfed in such a gloomy atmosphere that I got back to the hotel right after a short trip to Jigokudani (地獄谷) and soaked myself in the hot springs.
However, I couldn't shake off the gloomy feeling. For an instance, I didn't know whether I was suffering from the City Withdrawal Syndrome or it's my dark, gloomy self clawing its way out. Without the protection of the city hustle and bustle, I came to face myself with naked honesty.
A person popped up in my mind (no, not my ex-boyfriend) and I started to get flashbacks loaded with his image. It was a bit funny coz I didn't have a lot of interaction with him and I didn't realize he had taken up so much of my memory. What my mind has been silently supressing suddenly went loose and hit me hard. I felt trapped in my own gloom and failed to detach myself from it.
I broke in tears at the spa, ignoring the curious glare from others. That's one of the nice things about solo travelling--you don't have to feel embarrassed or shameful unleashing your negative emotions.
I cried nonstop until nightfall. That night I got myself a big Hokkaido melon for dinner. Another nice thing about travelling alone--you could go crazy without being stopped. After I gulfed the whole melon, I soaked myself at the spa again enjoying the comfort of being with strangers. I couldn't fall asleep until early morning.
(A bear at Noboribetsu JR Station)

(The Hot Spring Street looked gloomy.)

(I stayed at Noboribetsu Grand Hotel (http://www.nobogura.co.jp/) which is really grand! The Japanese emperor has once stayed there for vacation.)




(My melon dinner)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home