Monday, August 21, 2006

Day 3: 16.7 (Sun) 北海道大學 revisit + 小樽

As the travel package includes only 2 nights of hotel accommodation (actually I don't really like staying at hotels--it's expensive and boring), I dragged my luggage to a youth hostel the first thing in the morning where I would spend the last night in Sapporo.

Sapporo International Youth Hostel:
http://www.youthhostel.or.jp/kokusai/index.htm

Hakkaido University
I parked my luggage there and started my third day with a revisit to Hokkaido University. I really like that place! It really fits in my schema of a real university--patches after patches of green area, historic yet classy buildings with worn-off exterior, statues standing at different spots silently telling the history of the place, people strolling around enjoying themselves.



Otaku

After the morning walking tour at Hokkaido University, I took the train to Otaku. As I didn't sleep well in the past couple of nights (because of the sandy pillow and the creepy feeling of staying at a novel place), I quickly dozed off once I settled down. In fact I had an energizing nap on the train. When I opened my eyes again, I was just 15 minutes away from my destination.

The first thing that I did was to head to Sushi Masha (壽司政) for lunch.

After that, I nosed around the streets lined with interesting shops.



(Rich yam ice-cream ^^ Lovely!)


(A tree hanging lots of glass pearls)



(A workshop showing passers-by how to make glass)


(Another favourite of mine--Hokkaido melon)

(A music box at the entrance of a shop)


I was a bit disappointed with the Otaru Canal. It's rather short and actually not special.


Last night in Sapporo

On the train back to Sapporo, I met a traveller from Tokyo. The train journey passed quickly with a nice chat.

I seized another chance to experience the last-minute stock clearing sale at the department store. It was rather exciting in fact. The salespersons holding mics and amplifiers started to lower their price 30 minutes before the closing time. The price was further reduced with every minute passing. If you're lucky enough, you could get something very decent at an attractive price.

(That's what I got from the supermarket :))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home